Sunday, October 23, 2011

HAWAII....

Hey all,

While we are in Hawaii, we hear that whale watching is really cool - and it will be the perfect time of the year to get close to the whales and dolphins. I did some research this week and this is what we've found: (I researched and wrote all this down but DIDNT write down the name of the place, so I'll find that again - silly me!!!)

Best shores to do whale watching are on Maui's south and west shores, Lahaina and Ma'alaea harbors are excellent for whale watching.

This is what everyone says is the best company to do it through even though it is about 10 more per person. You are on smaller boats and you go faster so longer whale watching time and you get up close and personal with the whales - 100 yards or less away. They guarantee you see whales/dolphins. Everyone says this is way better than being on a huge ship since every seat on this is a front row seat. The boats hold 18 people - we have 18 exactly. We could rent out a whole boat - discounts maybe for the whole boat?

Snacks and beverages included. Best time of the day? People say in the morning or at sunset - both are good times. The morning has smoother water, the sunset tour the whales are quite active. They have tours from 8:45-10:45, 11-1, 1:30-3:30, 3:45-5:45. They also have an early bird special from 7-8:30am for 1.5 hours which is cheaper.

Prices:
49 per adult, 30 kids 12 and under
Early Bird 37 per adult, 25 kids 12 and under

Departs Lahaina Harbor Slip 17
808-667-5678


Also, Tyler and I vote to do the volcano! We have heard all about it from a bunch of our friends and my sister that have been to Maui. They say it is a must see attraction. We'd love to ride bikes down the mountain, but if not bikes, we'd just love to hike into it and all around. We hear the sunrise tour is quite spectacular and I liked the idea that Marci gave in her list about doing it the day after we get there since we will already be awake from the jet-lag...

As for our meal, um...we haven't thought that far out yet. Marci, I like both of your ideas on Hawaiian Haystacks and Pulled Pork, so maybe whichever you don't choose, we will take? Is that alright? Those both sounded so good and so Hawaiian to me!

I like the beach idea also, since the kids really love the beach and it is good just to relax and not really plan every minute. You never know how kids are going to react in a new environment and out of their element.

I really want to taste real pineapple from a pineapple stand!

We are up for whatever! I loved Marci's ideas - those all sounded great to me! I think that submarine would be cool for the kids~Just let me know if we decide to do the Road to Hana because I will FOR SURE have to stock up on dramamine since I hear it is quite windy - I'm thinking a repeat of the roads in Guatemala and they were not so nice to me! :) I do hear the road to hana is beautiful...

We are excited and are really just excited to spend time with everyone again. We were making Claire's "Queen of the Week" Poster tonight and on it she has to list things about her that she loves - she talked about camping this summer and water skiing (even though those of us on the boat with her don't want to relive the crying spell that ensued when she was in the water...) She must have selective memory because she thought it was great?!?! WHAT? We really had a blast this summer and can't wait to see everyone (including Rockford!!!) in just a few months!

Love you all,
Erica

I will try and post pictures of the kids lately and video of Porter's Raingutter Regatta...he won third place with all the big kids! He was pretty excited!


No comments: