Saturday, February 9, 2008

Good Intentions...BACK-FIRED!

Thursday early morning Porter came into our room and found me reading something. He asked me what it was that I was reading and at first I was a little hesitant to tell him, but then I realized that this was a golden teaching moment in a parent's life to teach your children more about Heavenly Father's love for us and the plan in general. I told Porter that I was reading from my Patriarchal Blessing. He asked me what that meant and we went on to have a 20 minute talk about the wonderful blessings of a Patriarchal Blessing and how special they are. We talked about the war in heaven and that because we chose to follow the Savior we were given bodies and allowed to come down to the earth and now we can't remember but we had special jobs and special assignments in heaven before we came down to the earth...and so on...you can see where this is going. So, I told him something very special about him that was in my personal Patriarchal Blessing and how our own family came to be. Yes, I remembered to tell him how sacred these things were and that we must keep them to ourselves and to our close family members...well, nieve mommy went on to tell him that I bet he was a leader up there in heaven before we came down here and that Heavenly Father probably gave him special jobs and he was true to the Lord. I just wanted him to feel how special he was and how much we loved him as well as our Father in Heaven. Well, everything seemed to be going really well. Thursday and Friday were miracle days with our little boy-he was so sweet, not 90 percent of the time but 99.9 percent of the time. He was the greatest helper, he took care of me and Claire, he made us lunch, cleaned the playroom by himself, made his bed, dressed himself, etc. all while he kept saying, "Mom, I know...I was a leader and I am special to Heavenly Father." Did I think anything of this? No. Until today when Tyler just came in an informed me of "an incident". Can you say...BACK FIRE! We just got home from the gym and I was in our room making a list for the grocery store when Tyler came in laughing. He said that Porter had just told him what happened at the gym. While he was in the child center he went on to tell these girls that he was a leader in heaven-and he said they didn't believe him. Okay, so Tyler and I were busting up laughing-and Ty said, "Great, you've just made our child some religious freak to the other kids!". Total back-fire...but do I miss out on an opportunity to teach? I am so confused-parenting is so rough. Yes Mom, I am still glad that we are in the stages when it is as easy as putting hot sauce on his tongue. This doesn't ever get easier does it?

No comments: