Monday, February 4, 2008

Unpredictable and MY MOMENT

Again-I feel that I have been neglecting this family blog and posting on my personal blog! I am sorry. I am not sure how many of you actually see my other blog, so here are my recent posts...ALONG WITH SHEETS! Seriously-my sheets ROCK!



Well, I've learned that children can be so unpredictable. So you have to know our sweet Claire. Her favorite thing to do in our home is to push a laundry basket down the hallway, load it up with knick-knacks and toys and drag it back...this happens over and over for hours at a time. So, we wrote Santa a fantastic letter and asked him to bring things for Claire that she could push up and down the hallway with her loads of "stuff". Well, he brought her a bike, a shopping cart and a push bike-you know those little ones where you sit on them and push them with your feet and they have a steering wheel and the seat lifts up into a storage compartment? Those were GREAT gifts and Santa knows Claire so well-but apparently she is unpredictable. So, Tyler and I, as one of her gifts from us this year, we got her a doll Graco Stroller and the matching Graco Pack 'n Play for her babies. It is the cutest thing in the world-hot pink and black and looks JUST like the real Graco things. Well, I set it up this morning and if she isn't trying to climb into it to put herself to sleep in it (may I remind you that this isn't a HUGE pack 'n play-this is for a doll so it is tiny-and she barely fits all scrunched up), she is...get this...PUSHING THAT THING DOWN THE HALLWAY! Does it have wheels? No. Does it have anything that would tell you to push it like a bike? No! But, that is what she has now been doing for 2 hours. Children are so unpredictable!

Tonight, I had a "moment"...even if it was seriously and literally just for a moment, it was a moment. Tyler and I were in the playroom with our two wonderful children playing in the last few minutes before bedtime. Porter and Tyler were playing football-practicing the catching and throwing, and Claire was "vacuuming" with this cute little toy vacuum that Grandpa and Grandma Tuttle gave her for Christmas. Porter was laughing with joy-even when the football hit him right in the face and left a red mark the size of a grapefruit. Claire was singing "Clean-up, Clean-up everybody, everywhere..." and then she'd look up at me and say, "I help you mommy" as she was "helping" me vacuum and clean-up. Two sweet and precious children we have and we are so blessed to have them in our home. The moment culminated when we kneeled down for family prayer. We knelt in a circle (or I guess square-since there are only four of us) and during the prayer I opened my eyes just for a moment to see my children. There they were, both of them on their knees with arms folded and well, eyes-not really shut, we are still working on that part, but to see them kneeling there-that was a moment I won't forget. It stayed in my mind while I was cleaning up from dinner and Tyler was at the gym. It was so quiet in our home and peaceful. I was thinking to myself if I had to choose one word to describe my children that started with the letter of their name what would I choose. For Porter-so many came to mind-Perfect and Profound were the top two. He is perfect for me-and teaches me so much and all the time he teaches me things that are so profound about life, science, the gospel etc. Claire-there was only one word for her-choice. She is a choice child and such a joy all the time. I find joy in everything that she does-she is pure and really a choice daughter-daughter of mine and daughter of God and she has been since the day she was born. I have been so blessed with a wonderful husband and wonderful children and it was a moment for me to reflect on that and the love that I have for them. That was my moment.

Those are my recent moments and at the moment Porter and I are trying to memorize the new First Presidency's names. What an exciting time in church history and although we miss President Hinckley we welcome and are excited to sustain President Monsen. What a great man and a great time in our church.

Love Erica

No comments: