Friday, December 7, 2007

The Most Untraditional Thanksgiving...............











So, I realize that I have much to catch up on, and I think that is part of the reason that I have not written for so long. There is so much!! But I will try to make it as concise as possible and not bore you all to death.

First and foremost our trip to DC for Thanksgiving was as mom would say "fantastic". We headed down on Wednesday morning and drove straight to the zoo. The weather was unbelievable and in the 70's which was so nice. We had a blast seeing all the different animals and Hudson was having the time of his life. His favorite thing there was the house of birds which he insisted walking through himself and would point to every bird and say "mama" and then do the sign for bird. It was the cutest thing. Another highlight was when he walked up to these two statues of these little foxes and attempted to "honk" their noses.....his new thing. I am sure all of you will experience that in the next month. It was adorable. We spent the entire day hanging out seeing all the different animals and listening to our children go crazy. We went with two other families- Billy, Kristy and Lainey Hull and Jake, Lindsey, Emma and Kenna Irving. Billy is in Tim's class and Jake and Lindsey just moved in to our apartment complex. We had so much fun together and Hudson absolutely adores the Irving Girls. Anyway, after spending time at the zoo we headed to our hotel in down town DC about 2 blocks from the WhiteHouse. It was the Hilton and SUPER nice which we luckily got a great deal due to Hotwire. So we pull up with our three cars and proceed to check in and begin to unload our car. Ok, so picture this 3 young couples- 4 kids- 3 enormous piles of luggage- 3 full sized coolers- a MICROWAVE- a crockpot and a rice cooker, all going into the HILTON. Heaven help us....can we say White Trash. Oh the bonuses of being poor. So needless to say, we took all of our meals and cooked in the hotel except for actual Thanksgiving meal which we spent at, drumroll please........ESPNZONE. Nothing like a good old mushroom burger and fries in place of turkey, mom's stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. It was hilarious, but actually really fun. The men were in heaven with the 15ft. screen playing the football game with 4, 37" tv's on each side showing every other sport that was playing all across the globe. Even the bathrooms had their own TV in each stall. Classic. Anyway, so Thanksgiving day was spent at the Air and Space Museum, the Washington and Lincoln Monument, National Mall and ESPNZone. It was a great day.

On Friday, we woke up and split where Tim and I went to do a session at the Washington DC Temple. You know, you really don't understand how important the Temple is until you are 4 hours away and can only go once every quarter. How I have missed the Temple. I just love the peace and comfort I feel there every time I enter those doors. We are so blessed to have such a place on this earth where we can leave this world behind and have the opportunity to relish in the spiritual and wonderful things of this life. I love that place. We then swapped children and headed to the visitor's center while the others did a session. Needless to say Tim and I were both staring out the window by the time the two hours were over, just trying to get a glimpse of them walking back. We had both had it....four kids under the age of 3 is nuts. I am glad they come one at a time. After that, we headed down to the Holocaust Museum for a very educational and somber evening. It was fun though. Saturday was spent at the Natural History Museum, National Archives and JFK monument, and then we headed for home about 4 that afternoon. We really had such a great time on the trip, and it was the perfect place for us to go. There is so much to do there and we loved all the history. We had a blast, although I do have to admit I was craving the crusty, burned samplings of stuffing I would get before dinner. Mom, I hope you are ready to break it back out for Christmas....I need my stuffing fix.

Lastly, I just wanted to say that I am so thankful for ALL of you. We have the best family on this earth and I cannot wait to see all of your faces really soon. I am REALLY homesick right now and feel like I am not just counting down days, but hours until I get to go home on Tuesday. It is hard being an entire country away, but we are so thankful for this opportunity and all we are learning and experiencing in our life. We love you with all our heart.

No comments: